It depends. A high rise condo may be completed under an hour while a McMansion may take 4 to 5. As a rule of thumb, a standard 2 to 3 bedroom condo takes about 1.5 to 2 hrs and a 3 or 4 bedroom single family detached home around 2.5 to 3 hrs.
Ross Neag, owner and head inspector of Chicago Building Inspections (CBI), has been in the real estate industry full time since 1999 and providing expert-level building inspections since 2007 – earning a solid reputation as one of the most thorough in Chicagoland. Ross has extensive experience with the rigors of running both single and multi-inspector firms and has substantial quantity of recommendations on many social media outlets around the web. Making sure that prospective home owners, investors, builders and associations understand the condition of their current property or what might soon be called home is, quite simply, our goal.
CBI inspectors are not a tire-kickers; we are extremely thorough, efficient, and fair. Our fees reflect the effort it takes to stay on top of the ever-changing world of construction materials and methods of installing them. It is a rare week when we're not in communication with several tradespeople to get a better understanding of something new we've seen or want to investigate further.
We have inspected thousands of buildings and units over the past decade and uncovered volumes full of building practices we wish we’d never seen. However, that's what has helped motivate us to become tenacious inspectors, looking for what others may not even know is missing. Having passed the gauntlet of energy auditing and surveys via RESNET and BPI, extensive HVAC and thermal imaging training, and countless moisture intrusion inspections and investigations, we are prepared to help you understand what lies ahead.
CBI inspections are unique, provide more information, and better prepare you for how a building will perform rather than just what's wrong.
- Pre-purchase condo, home and multi-family inspections
- Pre-listing inspections for Sellers
- Moisture Intrusion – Roof, Masonry, Windows/Doors, Foundations, Split-face or Concrete Block
- Energy Audits & Comfort Inspections/Surveys
- Thermal Imaging
- HVAC Inspections and Recommendations
- Property Condition Assessments (PCAs) and Reserve Studies
- Association 'Common Area' Inspections – major systems
- Expert Witness or 3rd Party Inspection/Documentation (legal action typically involved)
- Radon Testing – Radon is a colorless, odorless, radioactive gas found in every county in the country. For more information about this silent killer, visit our FAQ.
- Construction Consulting – make sure your project moves smoothly or you're getting what you paid for
- For most condos, prices range from $375 up to $500+ for larger 3 or 4BR or duplex units. Yes, we look at the exterior and roof of most condos (many mid-rise and high-rise buildings are not applicable).
- Small single family homes start around $500 and can rise quickly based on square footage, complexity, age, # of HVAC units or systems, etc.
- Multi-famliy dwellings (2 units and up) start around $650 and are typically reflective of how many units are being inspected.
- Moisture Intrusion inspections run from the simple roof leak up to serious masonry/roof investigations with multiple trips and reports. Please call/email to discuss any specific issues for pricing options.
- Expert Witness, Consulting, Quality Assurance (new construction phased inspections, remodeling, project milestones) – please call/email to discuss your particular project.
- Radon Testing starts at approx $200 and goes up for additional monitors when required
- Thermal Imaging – we can do stand alone thermal imaging inspections, predictive maintenance, insulation performance and new install quality assurance, etc.
- Commercial Inspections – please call/email for proper quote, as commercial buildings range greatly in size and scope.